Friday, April 23, 2010

O what a wonderful morning! O what a wonderful day!


In the PD - on the Comics page there is a small column I enjoy reading - "Strange but true". Today the column asks the question "do dreamers ever crack jokes in their sleep, especially in the form of puns?" (Crazy idea!)

The writer then tells about a psychology professor who told about this dream.

Let me quote a portion of his dream:
"Then he dreamed they were all sitting on the floor, heads shaved, and one asked, 'Oh, master, who possesses all wisdom, how do we attain perfect knowledge?' Glancing around at the expectant faces, he replied, 'You must drink sage tea.' "

What fun!

My father often dreamed, remembered these dreams, and would tell us about them at the breakfast table. Very often they were like the movies we saw on Saturday afternoons a the local theater.
They were the 'to be continued' kind. It was always an exciting happening, and then just as the hero was escaping he was running pellmell toward an unseen cliff, Dad's dream stopped. Several mornings later he'd come and say, "I found out what happened" - and would pick up on where the dream had left off, and give us a second chapter of the adventure - - once again leaving the hero in a very precarious situation.

These dreams might go on for several weeks before they ended . Then it might be a month or more before he began to dream another cliffhanger. Also, he dreamt in color and could describe the scene in the dream very vividly in color.

We all enjoyed hearing his dreams - -and I was a little jealous because I never seems to have dreams I could remember. And this is still true.

Ed used to dream frequently. He took his dreams seriously and would wake himself to record the dream while he still remembered it. Then the next day he would reread it, and ponder all day if there was a message in the dream which he should hear.

Occasionally he would tell me his dreams and together we might wonder about the meaning. I was not much help to him in this realm.

He firmly believed that we can receive guidance and information through dreams. He would remind me of the many references to dreams in the Bible - - and that dreams so often brought very important thoughts - - of potential dangers - - or wonderful future happenings. These were given to the dreamer - - but someone needed to interpret them.

I still wonder about dreams. I keep a piece of paper and pencil by the bed - - but when I wake up, all I have is some unusual feeling - and no memory of what caused it.

It must take a very special person who remembers their dreams - - and someone also very special to understand and interpret these dreams.

So, I just keep wondering - and waiting - -

1 comment:

  1. I love dreaming, especially remembering them! I use my "Dream Dictionary" everyday that i remember what i dreamt about, it is definitely interesting!

    ReplyDelete