Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Birds and other 'wild life'

Several days ago I saw that our great blue herons had returned. They have a 'nesting group' (I know there is a name- just can't think of it at this moment) about 30 miles from here.

I have watched them for several years - and wondered about their name "great blue heron'. I understand the 'great'. Their wing span is about 7 feet. But 'blue'? They are a greyish bird - - I guess you might name it a blue-grey - - but it would not be outstanding. Then I saw one flying just overhead. I looked up - - the underside of its wings were a bright blue - the color of the sky above it. It was spectacular. Now I readily agree they are truly the 'GREAT BLUE' herons.

Isn't interesting how things can change in an instant when one sees the object from a different viewpoint! And how rarely we are able to see 'the other side' and make judgements from our single sight.

The picture you see is of our Canada geese. There are 2 pairs there - -see the one in a distance - rather separated, but definitely 'a pair'. should another goose come close, it would be in trouble. These are such beautiful - and outstanding birds - to look at and enjoy.

BUT _ _ Here they are considered a nuisance. They 'poop' - only on our sidewalk - it seems. The maintenance staff are constantly being call to come and 'clean it up!' It all depends on how we see them - - and how they affect our lives.

I guess it is the same as with us - - how we see one another - - how it affects us - - and how we feel we need to respond.

And think - - all of these random thoughts just from one 'great blue heron'.

Have a great day!

3 comments: